Date and Time:Sunday, November 12 at 08:00 p.m. EST
Empowering Students in Math – Webinars and Collaborative Inquiry
If you are wondering how to integrate inquiry in your mathematics program, this series is for you!
During the five weeks of this online learning segment, participants will begin to explore teaching math through the lens of inquiry. The beginning and ending segments will be live, with participants able to submit questions digitally as well as share their voice through their computer. During the middle three weeks, prompts and questions will be posted (weekly) to elicit conversation amongst participants, with the hopes of participants trying something between weeks, posting about their experiences, and then asking questions and supporting each other through the learning. Facilitation will happen throughout the week to keep the conversations rich and powerful. Supporting this learning will be recently released videos showing classroom experiences where students are empowered to drive their learning, including the use of technology, to enhance and build their mathematical knowledge.
* Sunday, October 15, 2017 – online webinar 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. EDT
* Sunday, October 22, 2017 – online prompts posted by 8:00 p.m. EDT
* Sunday, October 29, 2017 – online prompts posted by 8:00 p.m. EDT
* Sunday, November 5, 2017 – online prompts posted by 8:00 p.m. EST
* Sunday, November 12, 2017 – online webinar 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. EST
Conversations will include, but are not limited to,
* framing math learning through inquiry
* prompts and provocations to support learning including curriculum links
* the importance of misconceptions in the math classroom
* building math knowledge through reflection
* assessment of mathematical knowledge
In addition, links to Ministry of Education resources will be shared throughout this learning. Webinars and online discussions will be hosted on thelearningexchange.ca. Although video shown will be from a primary classroom, the concept of learning mathematics through inquiry, and the skills discussed, would be beneficial for all teachers in the elementary panel.
To register follow this link: https://goo.gl/forms/mmi5G6U9lYn3ld912